Wastewater Treatment

Wastewater Treatment

600 Erie Road 

Marshall, MN 56258
Phone: 507-537-6776
Fax: 507-537-6201

FACILITY OVERVIEWThe City of Marshall’s Wastewater Facility is designed to treat a peak flow of 8.6 million gallons of wastewater a day and is currently treating an average of 2.8 million gallons a day. The wastewater is a mixture of both domestic and industrial sewage. The wastewater is treated by physical and biological processes prior to being discharge into the Redwood River. Because of the small size of the Redwood River the Facility has to meet some of the state’s most stringent water discharge requirements. The Facility has received numerous commendations over the years for meeting these standards.

SEWER GAS ODOR?If you smell a strong sewer gas smell in your home, you may have a dry trap in your drain system. This usually happens when a drain doesn’t get used very often and dries out, allowing the gas from the City sanitary sewer to back into your drain. This is easily remedied by pouring a gallon of water down all your floor drains, sinks, showers, and laundry tubs. Another cause of sewer gas in a home is a plugged sewer vent pipe. This is a vent located on a home’s roof that is needed for your plumbing system to operate correctly. Common blockages include frost build up, snow, or pests.

TOILETS DRAINING SLOW?Are your toilets slow flushing? It may be that your sewer service is starting to plug up. This is usually a sign that the water can’t drain away fast enough. You can try filling the bathtub with water and drain it while you flush your toilet and run water. This gives the sewer a large flow to purge out your sewer service. If the City sanitary sewer is plugged, you would normally see water coming up your floor drains continually, and your neighbors would be having a back up also.

SUMP PUMPSIt is illegal to have your sump pump connected to the sanitary sewer without a permit. In the spring of the year, the ground is saturated and the flows at the Wastewater Facility are high. When we get a heavy rain, the water from the sump pumps will be more than the sanitary sewers can handle. This causes wastewater to back into basements causing damage and contamination. The water from sump pumps should be directed outside your homes onto the lawn. With freezing weather and potential ice hazards, the city has a Sump Pump Permit Program to allow sump pumps to discharge into the sanitary sewer during the winter months. During the period of November 1st to March 1st, discharge of storm water to the sanitary sewer may be done by permit ONLY. Please apply for an annual permit with the Wastewater Facility Office by calling 507-537-6776 or filling out the Sump Pump Connection Permit Application.

Wastewater Treatment Documents

Lawn Fertilizer