Driver Education Checklist
- Sign up for Driver Education classroom/simulation:
Marshall Community Services
344 West Main Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
At this time, participant will be required to submit payment and complete a contract both the student and parent sign.
- After successful completion of the classroom/simulation portion of Driver Education, student will receive a blue card from the instructor. The blue card should be put somewhere safe where it will be easy to find. A $10 fee will be charged to replace the blue card.
- After student turns 15 years of age, bring the following:
- Blue card – all signatures are required
- Certified copy of birth certificate (primary document)
- Social Security card (secondary document)
(A complete list of accepted forms of identification is listed in the MN Drivers Manual.)
To: Driver’s License Bureau
601 D North Hwy 59
Marshall, MN 56258
507-537-7024 (Call for open hours)
Take and pass permit test. Complete application and pay fee at Lyon County Courthouse to validate permit. Permit is valid for two years.
- After receiving permit, sign up for Behind the Wheel at Marshall Community Services.
- Student must physically show permit to sign up for Behind the Wheel.
- Behind the Wheel can be completed any time after receiving a permit and before taking the driver’s license test (preferably within one year of finishing classroom).
- Upon successful completion of Behind the Wheel, student will receive a white card from the instructor. This card signifies course completion. The white card should be put somewhere safe where it will be easy to find. A $10 fee will be charged to replace the white card.
- Prior to student turning 16 years of age, call the Driver’s License Bureau at 507-537-7024 to set up an appointment to take the Driver’s License test. Appointments may only be booked 6 weeks before desired appointment date. Be prepared to give the student’s permit number to the Driver’s License Bureau when setting up the appointment. (For more options of testing locations, please visit mndriveinfo.org.) Student MUST show permit, driving log, Supplemental Parental Curriculum Course Certificate of Completion and white card at time of test. Student must also have proof of insurance in the vehicle at the time of the test.