ADMINISTRATIONThe OrganizationThe City of Marshall was incorporated in 1901 and the city charter was adopted in 1969. Marshall has a Home Rule Charter government structure operated by a Mayor and six Council members and an appointed City Administrator. Fifteen active citizen boards and commissions assist the Council. The City oversees the Marshall Municipal Utilities, the Marshall/Lyon County Library, and the Marshall Public Housing Commission.
Capstone Endowment Fund
- Founded in 1869.
- The area along the Redwood River, where Marshall is presently situated, was first settled in 1870. Within two years, the Winona & St. Peter Railroad was built and Marshall became the Lyon County Seat. The prairie community grew rapidly into a thriving town of 1,000 with a newspaper and a variety of shops.
- In 1950, the Weiner Memorial Hospital was built as a memorial gift from the Weiner family. About that time, Paul Schwan built a dairy plant and four years later founded the Schwan's Ice Cream Company.
- In 1963, the Minnesota University System created Southwest Minnesota State University, providing a great impact on the social environment and development of the City of Marshall.
- Population: 13,680 people
- Located at intersection of Highways 23, 59, 19 & 68.
- Located 143 miles southwest of the Twin Cites and 90 miles northeast of Sioux Falls, SD
- Area: 7.5 square miles.
- Altitude: Ranges from 1,120 feet to 1,750 feet above sea level.
- Marshall is home to The Schwan Food Company, one of Minnesota's largest private companies and the City's most prominent employer. The major impact of Schwan's on the City of Marshall comes not only from employment opportunities for 1,500 but from the organization's commitment to benefit the entire community.
- Other prominent food processing industries are Turkey Valley Farms, a turkey processor employing 460, and the Archer Daniels Midland Company, a corn wet milling facility with 260 employees.
- The presence of Southwest Minnesota State University, which employs 440, has also contributed to the City's growth and distinction.
- Other major employers include Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center, with 490 employees; US Bank Corporation, with 545 employees; Wal-Mart Supercenter, with 240 employees; Independent School District #413, with 350 employees; and Hy-Vee Foods, with 450 employees.
- Average Annual Precipitation: 27.13 inches
- Average Annual Snowfall: 35 inches
- January low temp (coldest month): max. 28 degrees F; min. 4 degrees F.
- August high temp (hottest month): max. 85 degrees F; min. 57 degrees F
Capstone Endowment Fund