The City of Marshall is dedicated to building a welcoming, inclusive, and racially equitable community.
Our Mission is to create and sustain an ongoing dialogue, through which we explore inequities, share information, and be a change agent for race equity within our community.The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Commission is dedicated to learning, creating innovative ideas, and adapting to the ever-changing environment. The DEI Commission is taking purposeful action to advance this commitment through the following guiding principles of equity, equality, inclusion, collaboration, and transparency.
Equity: fairness or justice in the way people are treated in order to achieve equal outcomes
- Building an equity lens into all of the DEI Commission work including strategic planning, policy, and priority setting process, communication strategy, and implementation work.
Equality: the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities
- Strives to ensure all community members receive equal access to opportunities within our community and to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Supports participation on an equal basis with others in any area of economic, social, political, cultural, or civil life.
Inclusion: the practice of providing equal access to opportunities and resources
- Ensuring that all community members feel respected and benefit from the economic prosperity of the City.
- Fostering an environment of representation in which all community members feel connected and authentically engaged.
Collaboration: the action of working together for a common purpose
- Striving for an environment that is committed to teamwork and engagement.
- Utilizing available resources and partnering with organizations, initiatives, and allies that will advance equity in Marshall.
Transparency: the obligation to share information with citizens in an open, honest and accountable manner
- Building relationships based on honesty, open communication, trust, consistency, and accountability with individuals and/or groups of people who are being disadvantaged or excluded.